NEARI and RIFTHP standing together say a perfect solution does not exist. A safe one does. Distance learning only.
NEARI and RIFTHP in a joint letter, are calling on the governor, RIDE, & RIDOH to begin the school year with distance learning. And that should start no earlier than September 9 to allow the necessary preparation for distance learning to be successful.
Additionally: NEARI and RIFTHP educators and support professionals cannot return to unsafe school buildings for face-to-face instruction until districts and the state can meet these eight necessary criteria to protect all students, families, and educators:
- A statewide Covid-19 R-value that indicates the virus is under control and will stop spreading
- Rapid testing and response are proven and widely accessible
- Successful air quality inspections of every classroom and workspace prior to school opening as required by law and regulation
- Masks required for all students, staff, and visitors
- Social distancing and desks spaced at least six feet apart
- True stable groups of 15 in alignment with current RI social gathering requirements
- Health precautions such as daily temperature checks for students, staff, and visitors
- An adequate and safe means of transportation for all students entering and leaving our schools as required
Read the full letter
Watch the NEARI/RIFTHP joint press conference carried live by WPRI Ch. 12.